I've Moved!

Thursday, November 21, 2013

peanut butter caramel swirl marshmallows.


So I picked up a book from the library the other day, one on marshmallows, and I came across a peanut caramel swirl marshmallow recipe. This isn't the same one from the book, but my interpretation of the recipe. You might recall the peanut butter caramel I made - I had the caramel swirled into a coffee-based marshmallow mixture and thus these marshmallows were born! If you're wondering why "coffee" isn't included in the name, it's because I didn't add enough coffee extract and the flavour didn't show up. So I'd recommend two actions - leave the coffee out because these are pretty darn good as they are, or follow my revised quantity for coffee extract for a noticeable kick of caffeine.


I did incorporate quite a fair bit of the caramel into the marshmallows so they were rather moist, and also relatively dense compared to plain marshmallows. However, one thing remains the same, which is that gloriously melty texture that lends them so ideally as a topping for a hot drink. Pop some on the surface of hot milk and watch them almost dissolve into a shapeless cloud and well, you need no further instructions I'm sure.


As I was whisking the marshmallow mixture, or more accurately, my mixer was (what would I do without my mixer), I recalled how for some meringues you should always whisk them until they are cool. Without thinking much I decided to whisk the marshmallow mixture for a longer period of time they really needed to be whisked for, which turned out to be a rather bad decision. The longer you whisk, the cooler the mixture gets, and also the stickier it gets, which makes it rather difficult to scrape into the pan and even harder if you have to take a portion out to flavour and then swirl back into the main mixture. Lesson learnt.

For this recipe, I used my go-to one, which you can view here. I made cocoa marshmallows before too and if you're interested, you can check it out here. Happy marshmallow making and do check out my instagram!



Peanut Butter Caramel Swirl Marshmallows

For the peanut butter caramel, follow the recipe here and chill it

For the marshmallow mixture, follow the recipe here, subbing the 2 tsp vanilla extract with 1 tsp coffee extract if desired

At the point where you can scrape the marshmallow mixture into the prepared pan, take out 1/4 of the mixture and whisk it with about 1/2 cup of the peanut butter caramel until smooth, and then swirl it back into the plain/coffee marshmallow mixture briefly. Scrape the resulting mixture into a prepared pan and let it set.

1 comment :

  1. Hey Amanda! I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Award :) To accept this nomination and spread the word, you can check out my post on http://readysetfoogo.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/the-liebster-award/

    Keep up the awesome posts and I'm looking forward to your post on the Liebster Award :D

    -Andrea/Antoliya from Foogo!

    ReplyDelete