I've Moved!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

earl grey pots de creme.


Everyone, I absolutely cannot keep this a secret. These earl grey pots de creme are just so amazingly delicious I consider them to be one of the best things I've baked this year. I hardly make the same thing twice but I'm already planning to make these again soon!

I have to admit that I'd underbaked these a bit by accident but I don't think I would love these any less if I had known what the correct texture is like. The tea flavour was strong but not overpowering; the puddings just set and slightly wobbly. When you take a scoop, the consistency is almost like that of a very thick creme anglaise. And once you have the first sliver of pudding hit your tongue and glide down your throat, I can guarantee you that you can't help shoveling spoonful after spoonful into your mouth and ask then for a second serving when you're done.


There's nothing much to complain about these really, except for how fast they disappear. Please make these! You won't regret it.

P.S. I made pots de creme of another flavour this year too and I love it to bits as well. I promise you that these malted milk pots de creme are well worth your time.

P.P.S I would greatly appreciate it if you would check out my instagram!


Earl Grey Pots de Creme
makes four 6-ounce servings
adapted from here

1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2 tbsp earl grey tea leaves
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Combine the heavy cream, milk and tea leaves in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep for at least 30 minutes and no longer than 2 hours. (I steeped mine for only 20 minutes and I feel that the tea flavour is strong enough already.)

Once the tea has finished steeping, preheat oven to 325F.

Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and salt together. Reheat the milk mixture to a gentle boil. Whisk into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Strain mixture to sieve out the tea leaves.

Place four 6-ounce jars in a large baking pan. Divide the custard evenly amongst the jars. Working as close to the oven as possible, pour boiling water into the pan until halfway up the sides of the jars.

Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil, poking a few holes to allow steam to escape. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the custards are set but still slightly wobbly in the centers.

Remove baking pan from oven; remove foil. Transfer jars to a wire rack to cool before refrigerating until the custards are firm, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.

No comments :

Post a Comment