I've Moved!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

sablé cookies.


I baked these along with some world peace cookies as part of my bake sale and oh. em. gee these are so good I'm going to keep the extras for myself if I can't sell them all. *Insert evil laugh*


I actually prefer the sables over the world peace cookies which isn't such a surprise since I'm not that much of a chocoholic. I like love their crisp sandy texture and buttery buttery flavour. It's the best butter cookie I ever had! Better than shortbread, even!

...

...


I can't express in words any more how good these cookies are unless frantic hand signs and a big cheesy grin count. Go make these cookies now now now now now! 

And then give them all to me thank you~


Sablés
recipe by Dorie Greenspan, taken from The New York Times
makes 50 cookies

2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup icing sugar, sifted before measuring
1/2 tsp salt, preferably sea salt
2 large egg yolks at room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour

For the decoration (optional):
1 egg yolk
coarse sugar

Beat the butter in a mixer at medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the sugars and salt and continue to beat until smooth and velvety but not fluffy and airy, about 1 minute. On low speed, beat in the 2 egg yolks just until well blended.

Still on low speed, pour in the flour and mix just until the last trace of flour disappears into the dough. The dough will not be stiff enough to form a ball and it shouldn't.

Working the dough as little as possible, scrape it onto a work surface, gather it into a ball and divide it in half. Shape each piece into a smooth log about 9 inches long by using plastic wrap. (Wrap the dough then roll.) Wrap the logs well and chill for at least 2 hours. The dough may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen up to 2 months.

Preheat oven to 350F and prepare 2 baking sheets.

To decorate the edges of the sables, whisk the egg yolk until smooth. Place one log of chilled dough on a piece of waxed paper and brush it with the yolk (the yolk acts as glue), and then sprinkle the entire surface of the log with sugar. Slice the log into 1/3 inch thick cookies.

These won't spread much so you can place them pretty close to each other. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, rotating each sheet at the halfway point. When properly baked, the cookies will be light brown on the bottom, lightly golden around the edges and pale on top. Let the cookies rest 1 or 2 minutes before carefully lifting them onto a cooling rack.

Linked to These Chicks CookedFull Plate ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday, Fat Camp Friday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

9 comments :

  1. Oh, these really do look delicious. I love this type of cookie. I would have to hide some for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for a good butter cookie recipe. Thanks for the recommendation. Very impressed with you blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies are beautiful. I've been wanting to try to make Sables for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks fro sharing at Miz Helen blog hop. The picture of this good looking cookies draw me to your blog.

    Mely

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look like they would melt in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would just love, love, love this cookie. I know that I would keep some of those cookies for myself. I enjoyed your (evil laugh). Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so buttery and good! Thanks for linking up to Fat Camp Friday. Hope you enjoyed your weekend, see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training Tomorrow! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE butter cookies and these look amazing! I am just seriously so impressed that you are only 15 years old! You are so talented! Thanks so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We would love to have you come back this weekend and link up more of your great posts!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete