I've Moved!

Friday, April 26, 2013

almond joy tart.


I'm procrastinating by typing out this post. I'm really supposed to be doing math homework now but just the mere thought of it repulses me. Oh math, the bane of my existence. Along with my sweet tooth.

Why do we need to do all those complicated math problems when we have such miraculous technology that is capable of solving any sum we key in anyway? Speaking of which, I have no idea how to work a graphic calculator. It's the technology idiot in me. My future is doomed.

P.S. Is anyone else feeling unsettled at how techno-centric the world is progressing towards? I for one like certain things to be kept simple like the way they were.

Okay. I need to make this short and snappy because my math homework isn't going to get itself done.


This tart basically consists of a tart base containing ground almonds, a white chocolate ganache with shredded coconut folded in and a chocolate ganache. There is supposed to be a whole almond topping off each tart but I didn't have any.

I tampered with the recipe a little (typical me) by subbing the white sugar with brown and using ground almonds instead of grinding whole ones down like the recipe instructed. I also used desiccated coconut instead of shredded because that was what I had.

The almonds weren't very discernible, and I think that's an understatement. Maybe I should say that I couldn't taste them at all, whatever traces of them being masked by the heavy flavours of chocolate and coconut. I would prefer the filling to have less coconut because it soaked up a lot of moisture from the ganache, making it rather dry. The thin layer of chocolate ganache on the tart's surface was barely enough for me- I found myself craving more chocolate to go with the tart. I rectified that issue by grabbing a few stray M&Ms from the fridge.

Overall, it's a pretty okay recipe but it could be made better with a few tweaks here and there.


Almond Joy Tart
makes 6 individual 4-inch tarts
adapted from Baked Explorations

For the almond tart dough:
1 large egg
1/4 cup whole toasted almonds
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed

For the coconut filling:
8 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tbsp light rum

For the chocolate glaze and garnish:
2 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ounces dark chocolate (60-72%), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 whole toasted almonds

Make the almond tart dough: In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg and set it aside.

Pulse the almonds and sugar together in a food processor until almonds are finely ground. Add the flour and salt and pulse again until just mixed. Add the butter and pulse until sandy. Pour in the egg and pulse until the dough just begins to cohere into a ball. Form the dough into a disk, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or overnight. (Alternatively, divide the dough into 6 equal portions and press it straight into the tart pans- my lazy method of choice.)

Divide the chilled dough into 6 portions and roll each portion into a 5 1/2 inch circle that is 1/8 inch thick before pressing into a 4 inch tart pan. Place the tart pans in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375F.

Line the tart crusts with aluminum foil and fill each one 3/4 full with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights and bake for another 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Make the coconut cream filling: Place the white chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Heat the cream until it comes to a simmer than pour it straight into the bowl with the white chocolate. Let the mixture stand for 30 seconds before stirring the mixture until smooth. Cover and refrigerate the ganache for at least 4 hours or overnight before proceeding.

Whip the white chocolate ganache until soft peaks form. Fold in the coconut and rum. Divide filling evenly among the cooled tart shells and place them in the fridge while you make the chocolate glaze.

Make the chocolate glaze: Place the milk and dark chocolates in a medium heatproof bowl.

Heat the heavy cream until it is just about to boil then immediately pour over the chocolates; stir to combine. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes. Remove the tarts from the fridge and spoon glaze evenly over each one. Top each tart with one almond and refrigerate again until the glaze has set, about 10 minutes.

3 comments :

  1. I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while and will take your suggestions into consideration when I do. They look fabulous!

    Good luck with the math homework! I don't envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day
    almond joy tart.
    I really count on fresh news found on such a great article written by you. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day,
    I can really use your post as my reference! I am really thankful to randomly find your article.

    ReplyDelete