I've Moved!

Saturday, March 30, 2013

triple rum black pepper cake.


It's been a while since I made cake. It's been an even longer while since I made cupcakes. I'll rectify that problem soon enough.

I know I've been complaining about the barely sufficient chances I get to bake these days but slowly, and perhaps grievously, I've been getting used to it. In fact, sometimes the thought of switching on the oven and getting out my mixing bowl is slightly off-putting. Even still, I always end up getting off my butt to bake something, because I know that once that spatula is in my hands and once the cake is sent off to bake in the warm oven, I won't regret it. I get such an immense satisfaction from baking that for the short period of time I potter about the kitchen, it's like I'm being transported to another dimension- a world full of flour and butter and sugar and none of papers and research and corrections. Yes indeed. If you love to bake, throw aside the homework and bake. It's good for your soul. Don't quote me on this.


So. The product of my temporary stress relief yesterday was this triple rum black pepper cake. There is rum in the cake itself, the syrup and the glaze. I skipped the glaze because I felt that the cake would be plenty sweet enough without it. Still, without the extra rum component, this cake is packed full of rum. You can taste it in every crumb of the cake, and it tingles on your tastebuds. It is loud and obvious. Watch out. On the other hand, the black pepper isn't that distinct. You can barely detect a small amount of heat beneath the rum, rum and rum.

Somehow, I expected the cake to turn out dense the crumb was rather springy. It definitely makes a satisfying snack for any part of the day.


Triple Rum Black Pepper Cake
makes a 10-12 inch bundt cake
recipe adapted from Baked Elements

For the cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup dark rum
1 tbsp vanilla extract

For the syrup:
1/2 stick butter
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp water
1/4 cup dark rum

For the buttered rum drizzle:
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1/2 stick butter, melted
3 tbsp dark or spiced rum

For the cake: Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 10 or 12 inch bundt pan.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, black pepper and salt together.

Stir the buttermilk, rum and vanilla extract together.

Cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the flour mixture in 3 parts and buttermilk mixture in 2 parts, alternating the two.

Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for about 1 hour or until an inserted skewer comes out mostly clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 30 minutes before unmolding onto a rack to cool completely.

While the cake is cooling, make the syrup: Combine the butter, sugar and water in a saucepan and place on medium-high heat, stirring until the butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Stop stirring, increase heat to high and let the syrup bubble for 3 minutes. Pour the syrup into a heatproof bowl, stir to release excess heat then stir in the rum.

Place the cake back into the pan and use a skewer to poke holes in it. Drizzle the syrup over the cake. Let the cake stand for at least 3 hours.

Before serving, invert the cake onto a serving plate. Make the buttered rum drizzle: Whisk the melted butter into the sugar until combined. Add the rum and continue whisking until glossy. Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Allow the glaze to set for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

3 comments :

  1. Hello Amanda,

    I was unable to find your email address so I thought I would just reach out via comment! My name is Hayley Teater and I'm a contributor for Foodiecrush: http://www.foodiecrush.com. I am working with Heidi Larson on an upcoming story on young food bloggers and we'd love to feature you and do an interview. Do you think you'd be interested? Please let me know and if so, I can send you interview questions. : ) My email address is: hjteater@gmail.com. Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar question than Hayley before me.
    I'm a finnish food-blogger and in my blog I introduce once a month a new blog to our readers, so if you'd be interested in that, email us at tohtori.sokeri@yahoo.com and we'll send you some questions!

    We love your blog and it would be awesome if you would do this!
    I'm sure our readers would be as ecstatic as we are! :)

    ReplyDelete