I've Moved!

Sunday, March 24, 2013

banana whoopie pies.


Hello world! This is my third post in a week. Unbelievable. I doubt that such a frequency would ever occur again for a long while.

Anyway, (normally, the use of the word "anyway" would mean that I'm getting to the subject proper but no, I shall continue to deviate to another topic) this has been an awesome week not just because I got to bake more than usual, but also because I have discovered my hidden love for soulful rock-ish music. Or at least, I think the genre is rock. The bands I'm currently in love with are 3 Doors Down and The Fray, in addition to The Script, which I realized a bit earlier that I am absolutely infatuated with. My favourite songs now are, from 3 Doors Down, Here Without You and When I'm Gone while for The Fray, How to Save A Life, Over My Head and You Found Me(!). And I love Thrift Shop too. Completely unrelated but just saying. (You love Thrift Shop too right? Admit it. How can anyone not love Thrift Shop?)


And now, I shall talk whoopie pies. Because that's what this post is supposed to be about. I have no issues whatsoever with them, except maybe for the fact that they had a bit more cinnamon than I could care for. Think of them as banana bread in semi-spherical sandwich-able form. They could have been a bit more banana-y, but then again, it would be unfair to compare them to the flavour this amazing banana bread has, since having to be made into a cookie poses some limitations to the amount of liquid you can add to the batter. The original recipe called for them to be filled with a milk chocolate swiss meringue buttercream, but I got lazy and simply slathered some leftover chocolate buttercream and peanut butter, for others. Crunchy, of course.

Uh, in case you really do click on the "leftover chocolate buttercream" link and notice the date, I assure you that I froze the buttercream and not leave it to ferment in some godforsaken corner of my overstuffed fridge. Really. Even though I froze it, I was planning to use it sooner but my, does time fly. Hahaha. Haha. Ha.

It's the weekend and although it's already Sunday (boo hoo), whoopie!


Banana Whoopie Pies
adapted from Baked Elements
makes 15 to 20 pies

3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 bananas, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
2 large eggs

chocolate buttercream, peanut butter, etc, for filling the pies

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare baking sheets.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.

Stir the sugar and oil together. Add the sour cream and bananas and whisk until combined. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth.

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough about 1 inch apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are just starting to brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cookie comes out clean. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cookies cool completely on them before filling.

No comments :

Post a Comment