I've Moved!

Monday, April 4, 2011

five spice roasted nuts.



Nuts are perfect as a gift when you want to give something edible. As long as the receiver doesn't have any unfortunate nut allergies, of course.

Nuts don't melt. Nuts are easy to pack. Nuts are addictive-ly good.

But you can't give normal nuts. It's just wrong. At least to me. I had to make them special. 


I didn't want to make them sweet, so I settled for a five spice version I saw on Pinch My Salt. They were salty and peppery, and definitely not your boring old sugar coated nuts. Give them a try! You may just want to keep them all for yourself.



Chinese Five Spice Roasted Nuts
adapted from Pinch My Salt
2 cups raw nuts- any nuts
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/2 packet stevia (or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, toss the nuts with the olive oil.  Spread nuts out on a sheet pan in a single layer. (Keep the mixing bowl handy – you will need it again.)  While oven heats, mix the spices, salt, and stevia (or sugar) in a small bowl; set aside.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Remove pan from oven and carefully pour the hot almonds back into the mixing bowl.  Sprinkle spices over the nuts and toss well with a spoon.  Pour the seasoned nuts back onto the sheet pan and return to the oven for 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and let nuts cool completely on pan.  Store cooled nuts in a covered container.

No comments :

Post a Comment