I've Moved!

Saturday, January 15, 2011

fruit tart.

When they say simple is best, sometimes they are right.

Although, looks can be deceiving. This is, after all, a multi component dessert. First we have the tart base, then frangipane, followed by pastry cream before topping it off with fresh fruits and a quick apricot glaze.
Oh and by the way, this tart dough hardly shrinks in the oven at all. We have a winner! The tart dough recipe is from smitten kitchen and yes it's great- flaky, buttery, but I overlooked one itsy bitsy little point in my rush of excitement.

It's for savory tarts.

Dang it. I was looking forward to a crumbly shortbread-like crust. But this isn't a bad second place either. I bet it would be great for a pie too.


A Great Savory Tart Shell

1 1/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, diced
1 egg


In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch and one-fourth teaspoon salt. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender, fork or two knives until it is in very tiny bits. Add one egg and mix with a fork until a dough forms. If this does not happen easily, toss it out onto a counter and knead it together. This dough is rather tough but with a little elbow grease, it does come together nicely. (Dough can also be made in a food processor, or as the original recipe suggests, in a stand mixer, though I have not tested in in the latter.)


On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle. Place the dough in a 9-inch pie plate or tart pan and press to remove any air bubbles. Crimp the edges, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Proceed with a filling of your choice, no parbaking required.

The almond frangipane recipe I used was Rose Levy Beranbaum's which called for the use for almond extract to further boost the almond taste. I think that's really unnecessary. It added an artificial flavour which I didn't quite appreciate.


I used the same pastry cream as always. Apricot glaze is just melted down apricot jam. 


Yum...


1 comment :

  1. I love fruit tarts and this looks especially delicious!

    ReplyDelete