I've Moved!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

supernatural salted peanut butter brownies.


I'm not bragging or anything by adding the supernatural to these supernatural salted peanut butter brownies. In fact, some of you may find the title somewhat familiar if you've made Nick Malgieri's supernatural brownie recipe.

I've made some pretty awesome brownies before but they're always of the dense fudgy genre. It took me a while to realize that I actually prefer brownies that are half-cakey half-fudgy with that marvelous sugar crust on top. Nick Malgieri's recipe seemed promising so I decided to give that a shot. And while I'm at it, why not add a salted peanut butter swirl?


I wouldn't say that these brownies were exactly what I was looking for but they are delicious in their own right too. They're not too dense, but they're not cakey enough either. That's probably because I underbaked these more than I should. I guess old habits die hard.

My tastebuds have been spoiled by the cocoa brownies' intense chocolaty-ness so these paled slightly in comparison in terms of flavour. I have to say though, I loved the peanut butter swirl! It's a tad salty and totally reminded me of the middle of a Reese's peanut butter cup. Just a little caution: for some, it might make the brownie seem not sweet enough.  


Supernatural Salted Peanut Butter Brownies
makes a 9 x 5 inch pan
brownie portion adapted from here

Note: For the best flavour, bake 1 day before serving.

For the brownies:
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 egg
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup flour

For the peanut butter swirl:
1/4 cup commercial peanut butter
3/8 tsp salt
1 slightly rounded tsp icing sugar
1 tbsp milk

To make the peanut butter swirl, combine everything in a small saucepan and heat on low heat, stirring, until combined and loosened. Add more milk if necessary. Set aside while you get on with the brownie batter.

Butter and line a 9 x 5 inch pan.

Melt the chocolate and butter over a pan of simmering water and let the mixture cool slightly. In a bowl, whisk the egg, sugars, salt and vanilla until foamy and slightly pale and lightened up.

Whisk in the chocolate mixture. Fold in flour until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Randomly top with dollops of the peanut butter mixture then use a knife to swirl it into the batter.

Bake at 350F for 17 to 20 minutes or until shiny and beginning to crack on top. Don't overbake. Cool the brownies in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool completely before cutting.

3 comments :

  1. Hi! This recipe looks amazing. I'm always looking for a great brownie recipe. I am definitely trying this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the temperature to bake these at??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon> Whoops! Sorry! I've amended the recipe.

    ReplyDelete