I've Moved!

Friday, January 20, 2012

avocado gula melaka smoothie.


There was an Indonesian restaurant I used to frequent in the past that had this amazing avocado dessert. It was like a smoothie of sorts with a mocha fudge sauce rippling though it. I quickly got over the weird fact that it was a dessert made from a vegetable once I took a sip because gawd it was so damn delicious.

Right now, the restaurant is no more so I told myself that I absolutely had to recreate my own version at home. This recipe I sourced out of many slightly differing variations looked promising to me, so I decided on this one.

It's really simple. Just throw everything into a blender and press a button. Mine was quite thick so instead of drinking it, I ate it with a spoon. But you could always thin yours down with some milk if you can't be bothered with utensils. How much condensed milk you choose to put in will depend on how milky you like your drink. Personally, I wouldn't add too much because the smoothie would end up being to rich, given how filling avocados already are in the first place.

I topped my smoothie/pudding off with generous spoonfuls of really easy to make gula melaka syrup, but if you've got the time, I strongly encourage you to try this with mocha fudge sauce. You'll love it.


Avocado Gula Melaka Smoothie
serves 1

1/2 a ripe small avocado
1/2 cup ice
2 tsp ~ 1 tbsp condensed milk

gula melaka syrup, recipe below.

Throw all the ingredients, except the syrup, into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and drizzle over as much gula melaka syrup as you desire.

Gula Melaka Syrup

75g gula melaka, chopped finely
1/4 cup water

In a small pot, combine the gula melaka and water and heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened.

No comments :

Post a Comment