I've Moved!

Friday, January 13, 2012

savory cheese and chive muffins.


Hey all, how are the new year resolutions going? Honestly, I don't believe in those I'm gonna eat healthier sort of resolutions- those were made to be broken.

But making these savory muffins doesn't mean my non-existent faith in those resolutions are wavering. I just thought that making something that's not loaded with sugar would be a nice change. Besides, I had tons of cheese in the fridge waiting to be used. Or perhaps a more accurate way to put it is tons of cheese starting to go mouldy. 

The muffins were soft and fluffy and loaded with cheese. How cheesy it will taste depends on what kind of cheese you use though. I used a mild cheddar so it wasn't overly cheesy. And I should have added a touch more salt.

The original recipe recommended adding chopped toasted walnuts into the batter but I was too lazy to do that so I left it out. If I could hit the rewind button, I would definitely include those. Oh, and add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes too. Some tart-sweet flavours would be a great addition.


Savory Cheese and Chive Muffins
adapted from here
makes 9

1 3/4 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 to 1 tsp salt, depending on how salty the cheese you're using is
1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
3 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 generous cup coarsely grated Gruyere, Comte Emmental or cheddar cheese
2 ounces Gruyere, Comte, Emmental or cheddar cut into small cubes
1 bunch chives, minced (about 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.

Whisk the eggs, oil and milk in another bowl.

Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix together until moistened then stir in the grated and cubed cheese, chopped chives and optional walnuts to form a thick dough. I recommend adding chopped sun-dried tomatoes too! Don't overmix.

Bake for about 14 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.  The muffins will keep for up to 2 days at room temperature.

4 comments :

  1. Those look like the Red Lobster muffins, better actually. These are the kinds of muffins that I could just eat and eat...and eat! Can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The inside looks really moist and tender. Thanks for the recipe and link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was recommended this blog by way of my cousin. I'm not
    positive whether or not this submit is written through him as nobody else recognize such
    distinct about my trouble. You are amazing! Thanks!


    my blog post :: 60 minutes resveratrol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I prepare the batter a night before and keep it in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete