I've Moved!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

yogurt pancakes with sauteed cinnamon apples.

autumn breakfast - yogurt pancakes with sauteed cinnamon apples

Sometimes I feel as though the universe is conspiring against me, such as today - on which I was planning to make pancakes and upload a post because winter break has finally, thankfully begun. Otherwise I wouldn't usually have enough time to bake and take decent pictures before the sun sets, which is crazy early here right now. But when I woke up this morning the sky was moodier than I typically am on Mondays and obstinately remained the same overcast shade of grey the entire day.




Consequently I had to rely on the artificial kitchen light which is mildly vexing not least because it is doing absolutely nothing for these pancakes and emphasising my embarrassing lack of photo editing skills. Oh and please don't mind the blackened surfaces of the pancakes, I'm still trying to adjust to the stove here. Really. Please don't. Thank god I had extra yogurt on standby.

It's quite unfortunate that I couldn't capture these pancakes in a more aesthetically pleasing manner because they are honestly delicious. Slightly eggy with a bit of chew and not in the least bit dry despite containing no butter or oil. I was anticipating that they would be thicker and fluffier but I don't feel betrayed at all.

On a separate note, it's Christmas Eve tomorrow! I'm genuinely bummed that I won't be able to have my traditional feast living alone overseas and all but it's appropriately freezing and streets everywhere are adorned with Christmas lights and so, it feels every bit like my favorite holiday. Merry Christmas everyone! X


Yogurt Pancakes with Sauteed Apples
pancake recipe adapted and modified from here, sauteed apples' from here

For the pancakes:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg and vanilla extract. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.

Cook pancakes over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides.

For the sauteed apples:
2 large apples, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp cornstarch
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat; add apples. Cook, stirring constantly, until apples are almost tender, about 6 to 7 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to skillet. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and serve warm.

No comments :

Post a Comment