I've Moved!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

sugared parmesan shortbread cookies.


Cheese makes a guest appearance again, this time, in cookies!

This nearly became one of the rare sugar-less posts on this blog but I decided to roll the log of dough in coarse sugar because I wanted to create a sweet-salty contrast just like I did for my cheddar cheese loaf. (Which, by the way, have you tried yet? Because it's a crime if you don't. Just saying.)


I think I should have included some bacon like the original recipe, to make the cookies more savory. But without it, they're not too bad either. I like the extra crunch provided by the sugar.

I, not being a cheese fanatic, wouldn't go wild over these but they're an option to keep in mind if you like cheese and are looking for something not quite the norm to bake.


Sugared Parmesan Shortbread Cookies
adapted from Crumbly Cookie
makes 18

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup cream or half-and-half, more as needed (I used low-fat milk)

egg, beaten
coarse sugar, for rolling in and sprinkling on

Pulse the flour, salt, cheese and butter in a food processor until you have a sandy mixture. Add the cream or half-and-half a little at a time until the mixture holds together but is not sticky.

Shape the dough into a log and freeze for at least 3 hours. To get a perfect cylinder, I used the cardboard roll the kitchen paper towels come with to contain the dough.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Apply the egg on the length of the log and roll the dough in coarse sugar. Slice the dough into 1/4 inch thick slices and arrange the cookies 1/2 inch apart on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle more sugar on the tops of the cookies. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment