I've Moved!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

blackberry turnovers.

Mr Pastry and I, how should I put this... don't really get along so well.


We argue a lot. Yesterday, my self control slipped a little and I flattened him with a rolling pin. Flattened him almost paper thin. 


Oh boy. He was mad. So mad, he refused to help me hold the blackberries. He ripped himself apart, exposing the blackberry filling. Gee thanks. 


Luckily it happened to only one of the turnovers and I patched up the hole, stashed it in the freezer overnight, and hoped for the best.




My shaping skills leave little to be desired. Especially this one, the oversized monster. The recipe called for 3 to 4 tablespoons of filling per turnover, but really, I should stick with 2.




Brush with egg wash, sprinkle some sugar, blast some heat and voila! Magic!




Much prettier, don't you think?




Look at that little bubble of filling. Isn't it adorable?




The cream cheese pie crust was my favourite bit. Buttery, flaky... The aroma from the oven was drool inducing.




The recipe is from THE PIE AND PASTRY BIBLE. Rose gave the option to use either a normal pie crust or a cream cheese one so I went with the cream cheese version since I have not tried that before. You won't regret it, I assure you! 


I chose blackberries for my filling since I had some canned ones kicking around. Watch out for their tiny seeds though. They can get stuck in your teeth. Which is why I think if I were to make fruit turnovers again, I would choose a different kind of fruit. A more refreshing kind too. 


Or, I could just stick in some lemon zest.




Check out this blogger's take on Rose's fruit turnovers!

No comments :

Post a Comment