I've Moved!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

dorie's pecan pie.


Dorie (Greenspan)'s pecan pie is not your average pecan pie.

It has chocolate...

and coffee...

and pecans. Like, duh.


It tastes like a more elegant version of its achingly sweet family members. Like pecan pie all grown up. Rather than just boosts of brown sugar, this pecan pie is more complex in flavour than the traditional version. This is the recipe to convert those who think of pecan pie as just a pure sugar cube (or some sort of flattened half-sphere).


Personally though, I prefer the original pecan pie. I wouldn't mind deviating a little by browning the butter, but I think original is best. Yep, I like my sugar rush.


Dorie's Favorite Pecan Pie
makes 1 9 inch pie

1 partially baked 9 inch crust, cooled (I have a favorite I highly recommend)

3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp instant espresso powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups pecan halves or pieces
85g bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat oven to 220 degrees. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicon mat.

In a large bowl, whisk the corn syrup and brown sugar together until smooth. Whisk in the melted butter, then add the eggs one at a time, beating until you have a smooth, foamy mixture. Add the espresso powder, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and give the batter a good mix.

Rap the bowl against the counter a couple of times to pop any bubbles that might have formed, then stir in the pecans and chocolate. Pour the filling into the crust.

Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make a foil shield for the crust by cutting a 9 inch circle out of the center of an 11 or 12 inch square of aluminum foil. Because I made my pies mini, I didn't bother cutting the foil. I just placed a whole square of foil above each pie.

Lower the oven temperature to 180 degrees. Place the foil shield on top of the pie- the filling will be exposed, the crust covered by the foil. Bake the pie for another 15 to 20 minutes or until it has puffed, beautifully browned and no longer jiggles when tapped.

Transfer the pie plate to rack, remove shield and cool to room temperature.

No comments :

Post a Comment