I've Moved!

Saturday, September 17, 2011

banana pecan upside down cake.

Before I start, I need to address a very important issue. I know that I don't post recipes with some of my bakes, and apparently is upsetting to some. I hope you understand that there are copyright issues and I can't just type out the recipe and post it online because it won't be fair to those who have bought the book. I only post recipes that have been posted by others too, because I think it's safe to be shared. Also, I would like to say that the purpose of this blog is for me to share what I can make. Posting recipes is not a given because it's not my focus. To me, a blog is all about interaction. To communicate with others about baking and stuff, recipe or no recipe, would be this blog's most valuable achievement. I know this issue isn't new to many experienced bloggers but I'm just a newbie and I find it deeply unsettling so I need to get it off my chest. Thank you for listening.




Don't let this pallid appearance fool you, because it's so much more.

Sure, I made a boo boo along the way. I didn't have a cast-iron skillet so I baked it in a normal baking pan. The recipe instructed those who use a normal pan to preheat a baking sheet to place the pan on so that the bottom will receive an extra oomph of heat to caramelize the sugar. I forgot. Which explains the pale surface. Oops.


I tried my best to inject some colour into it by broiling the top after flipping it over but it didn't work, except for the edges. My pecans nearly burned into black nuggets but the bananas were still a pale yellow. Hmph.


Nevertheless, the cake was delicious. It's a recipe from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum which uses the reverse creaming method (I think that's what it's called). You know, the one where you mix the butter with the flour then add in eggs then liquid? That's the one. The cake was so tender and it practically melted with the slightest nudge of my tongue. It had a superb buttery taste too!


Now, just one grouse...

Why does it have to be so short?! 

I want more cake.

Preferably now.


Banana Pecan Upside Down Cake
adapted from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
makes 1 10 inch cake

Banana layer
2 bananas, sliced such that they are able to fit in 1 layer
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup pecan halves

Cake
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sour cream, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
3/4 cup superfine sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
9 tbsp softened butter

Preheat oven to 350F. Place oven rack in lower third of the oven. If you're using a normal baking pan, preheat a baking sheet as well.

To make banana layer: Melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar until moistened and remove from heat. Arrange bananas and pecans in 1 layer. Transfer the brown sugar-butter mixture to your normal baking pan before arranging if you're not using a cast iron skillet.

To make the cake batter: In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks,  2 tbsp sour cream and vanilla. In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix on low speed to combine. Add butter and remaining sour cream. Mix on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium (high if using hand mixer) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes to aerate and develop cake's structure. Scrape down the sides.

Gradually add egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Pour batter into skillet/pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and a inserted toothpick comes out clean. I think it's best to cool the cake for 5 minutes before inverting on a serving plate.

Linked to Tuesday Talent Show, Cast Party Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked, Full Plate Thursday, Sweet Treats Thursday, Fat Camp Friday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

4 comments :

  1. This really looks yummy! WOW! i am now folowing you!
    can you please visit my website and do the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good!..I'm visiting from Miz Helen's.
    ~JO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have an iron skillet to cook in either so I would have to improvise myself. This looks delicious. I would much prefer this to pineapple. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yum, what a great treat. I can't wait to give this recipe a try. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great week!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete