I've Moved!

Friday, July 1, 2011

waffle my world: the classic waffle part 4.


This will be the last of my classic waffle recipes, but not the end of the Waffle my World series because I think, I can finally decide which is my winner, but I won't say until the next post. Good things come to those who wait... 

So, let me tell you which recipe I used- Waffles of Insane Greatness. I tweaked it a little bit, I couldn't bear the thought of another plain waffle, so I added cinnamon and nutmeg to it. A good call, because I felt that the waffle was bland apart from the spices. Imagine if there were none in it. Horror.

Now, I know that this is a recipe favored and adored by many, so I do not wish to step on any toes here, but just to express my humble personal opinion. To each their own, as they say. My experience with this recipe may not hold true with others, possibly because I substituted half the oil for applesauce. This may have affected the crispness, but I believe, not the flavour, as vegetable oil hardly has any taste.


These waffles were crisp once out of the waffle-maker but barely 3 minutes later, they started to go a little limp and soft. I tried re-crisping them, but they only ended up being squashed down.

Well, I liked these waffles for one thing though, and that is their texture. It was muffin-like, an oil-based one, cakey and fluffy. It wasn't too light, which I like, because I believe even waffles should have a satisfiable density.

So if you want to know the results of the classic waffle throwdown, come back soon!


Waffles of Insane Greatness
recipe taken from foodnetwork.com 

¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. table salt
1 ½ tsp. sugar
1 cup milk *I used 3/4 cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup milk for consistency and flavour
1/3 cup vegetable oil, such as canola *I subbed half the oil for applesauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten
¾ tsp. vanilla extract

For a cinnamon nutmeg version: 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
Preheat a waffle iron. Do not use non-stick spray on the waffle iron; the oil in the batter will allow the waffle to release easily. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.



1 comment :

  1. I love this recipe too! the first time I made them, I used 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup sour cream (since I didn't have buttermilk) and the second time, I made them as the recipe suggests. The sour cream version is a lot better! They definitely don't get soggier as fast as the all buttermilk ones and I think the flavor is better. Try it, you'll like it!

    http://kitchentrialanderror.blogspot.com/2011/03/waffles-of-insane-greatness.html

    ReplyDelete