I've Moved!

Saturday, July 16, 2011

waffle my world: chocolate waffles.


What is wrong with me? This is my third chocolate post in a row! The next one won't be anything chocolate, I swear.

I've been making it a point to use my waffle machine at least once a week, so I decided to try out this waffle recipe I found on Annie's Eats. To cut a long story short, I decided to forgo the chocolate chips partly because I didn't want to end up with a gooey chocolaty mess (good to eat but not to clean), and also because I forgot about them as I scrambled to the shrieking waffle machine. Although I would like to tell you that that's okay, the waffles are great without the chocolate chips anyway, I can't. Because then I would be lying.

The waffles aren't sweet enough for my liking- the harsh bitterness of cocoa powder needs to be countered with more sugar methinks. I would suggest doubling the amount of sugar. But perhaps that was why chocolate chips were called for- to add pockets of sweetness to the bittersweet batter. Bottom line: please don't forget the chocolate chips. In fact, why not use white chocolate? I bet their sweetness would work wonderfully. Or maybe stir in some dried cranberries in the batter?


I immediately thought of pairing these waffles with a chocolate sauce but you know what? Sometimes chocolate doesn't have to go with chocolate. I think a raspberry sauce would shine here.

I'm quite disappointed because these waffles didn't stay crisp for long. But at least I had some crispy edges because I overfilled my waffle iron again! It's a terrible uncontrollable tendency. Anyone else has that too? Oh and I decided to have a taste the waffle batter on a whim. One word- bleh. 

After several waffle making sessions, I found that the best way to crisp up waffles that stay hopelessly limp is to place them in a low oven directly on a rack for a few minutes. It's much better than allowing the waffle to cook longer in the waffle iron. In fact, you could make some ahead and freeze them, reheating in a 400F oven for 3 to 4 minutes, no defrosting necessary. Who says waffles have to be made and eaten on the spot?


Chocolate Waffles 
adapted from Annie's Eats

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips or white chocolate chips or dried cranberries

Directions
Preheat waffle maker.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda and whisk to blend. In another bowl, combine the eggs, butter, vanilla and buttermilk. Whisk to blend as well.

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry just until incorporated. Stir in your add-ins and let the batter rest for 5 minutes.

Cook the waffles and serve with accompaniments if desired. Raspberry sauce is highly recommended!

1 comment :