I've Moved!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

thai sweet chili sauce.


Ohohoho... Sweet-toothed gal is making chilli sauce. A sweet one, of course. I can't express in words how much I dig this, but if actions are any indication, I dipped my way through 3/4 of the jar. Dipped with what? Well, I'm keeping that a delicious secret... until tomorrow.

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
makes a little over a cup
adapted from She Simmers

The original recipe uses 1 tablespoon of cornstarch which I felt made the sauce way too thick. It practically jellified when I refrigerated it. You could use what the original recipe indicated, or try my suggestion which is to use 2 teaspoons for a less vicious sauce. 

2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 medium red chili, deseeded (I can't take the heat but you can leave the seeds in if you can!)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Puree all the ingredients in the blender, except for the last two.

Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium and simmer until the mixture thickens up a bit and the garlic-pepper bits begin to soften, about 3 minutes.

Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and continue to simmer for a minute more. The cornstarch will help the sauce to thicken slightly thereby causing a nice suspension of the garlic-chili bits, otherwise, you get a thin sauce with all the little pieces floating on the surface.

Let cool completely before storing in a glass jar and refrigerate.

2 comments :

  1. Actually this sauce tastes preety good with red meatand stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is actually the placenta (the white that hold the seeds to the inside of the pepper that contains the oil that makes chilis hot. That is the part that needs to be removed if you don't want it too spicy!

    ReplyDelete