I've Moved!

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

triple chocolate rum raisin tart.


So I wanted to make a cake for my BFF's birthday and when I called her up to ask her what she wanted in her cake, she replied with "something coffee" and "oh I rather have a tart".



You must be wondering where  in the world the coffee is in this tart with a description like "triple chocolate rum raisin"; trust me, it's there in the form of a white chocolate coffee ganache. That's chocolate component number one. Number two is a salted bittersweet chocolate ganache that goes on top of the white chocolate coffee ganache, but not before scattering over some rum soaked raisins. I kinda figured that since coffee + rum = most delicious combination ever and coffee + chocolate = amazing (duh), combining all three of them would be a total winner. The cocoa whipped cream, chocolate component number three, wasn't my intention from the start but I chose it over regular sweetened whipped cream for the colour. If you wanna be real exact about it there are actually four types of chocolate in this tart, the last one being the chocolate covered potato chips. I didn't make those and they're purely decorative so they aren't counted in my books.


I made a mini tart for myself for a taste test and I think it could use a bit more coffee and less chocolate if the coffee is meant to stand out. Otherwise, it's a pretty good chocolate tart. Wish I had drizzled some salted caramel on top though.

dessert - triple chocolate rum raisin tart

Triple Chocolate Rum Raisin Tart
makes a 7 inch tart

I wasn't measuring when I added the espresso powder, cocoa powder and such but the quantities written here should be pretty accurate (if my estimation skills have not been deteriorating). Feel free to decorate the tart in any way you like! I made a cookie out of extra tart dough and propped it up with a ferrero rocher chocolate. The chocolate bits you see sticking out of the cream are store-bought chocolate covered potato chips.

tart shell (recipe here), baked and cooled

For the rum raisins:
1/4 cup raisins
slightly more than 1/4 cup rum

Place the raisins in a heatproof jar or bowl. Heat the rum until it begins to simmer then pour into the jar/bowl. Gently shake the container if you have to to ensure that the raisins are completely submerged. Cool to room temperature before refrigerating. You should make this a day ahead.

For the white chocolate coffee ganache:
42g white chocolate, chopped
1 tsp instant espresso powder
1/3 cup cream

Place the chocolate and espresso powder in a bowl. Heat the cream until it begins to simmer then pour over the chocolate. Let the mixture stand for around 2 minutes before stirring until smooth.

When the ganache cools to room temperature, pour into the cooled tart shell. Scatter over the rum-soaked raisins. Refrigerate until ganache is firm.

For the salted bittersweet chocolate ganache:
85g bittersweet chocolate, chopped
scant 1/2 cup cream
large pinch of salt

Place the chocolate in a bowl. Bring the cream to a simmer in a saucepan then pour over the chocolate. Let the mixture stand for 2 minutes before stirring until smooth. Add the salt and stir again.

When the ganache is cooled to room temperature, pour it over the white chocolate ganache and rum raisins layer and refrigerate again until the ganache has set.

For the cocoa whipped cream:
1/2 cup cream
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp icing sugar

Whip all the ingredients together until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe a border around the tart.

1 comment :

  1. Awesome!! I love the combo of rum raisin with chocolate. And the cocoa whipped cream is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete