I've Moved!

Thursday, March 26, 2015

chocolate chip cookie dough scones.

breakfast / afternoon tea - chocolate chip cookie dough scones

What would you do with extra cookie dough? Eat it raw? Sandwich it between two layers of cake? Plop small mounds of it in a pool of cheesecake batter? I can say with certainty that all of the above options are delicious ones - see chocolate chip cookie dough cake and chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake bars; if you've not eaten raw cookie dough you're missing out! - but if you know me, I don't like predictable and I usually prefer to try a new recipe than repeat something I've already made.





I knew for sure that I wanted to fold the cookie dough into some sort of dough or batter. I didn't really have the luxury of time as well so I settled on scones - the perfect cross between a cookie and a cake. To be honest I was a little hesitant about incorporating cookie dough into the scone dough because they may impede their rise; unfortunately it seems that my prediction came true. I don't think I overworked the scones so the weight of the cookie dough must have caused them to fall short of their maximum potential height. At this point I'd typically declare some sort of major hunt for the best scone recipe but as much as I hate to admit it, scones aren't the type of baked goods I would like to eat too often. Nevertheless I will attempt another shot or two at them and hopefully close the search for the perfect scone.



What these scones lacked in height they definitely made up in taste - buttery and a wee bit gummy, not to mention their slightly fluffy texture. These are extremely rich, especially with the cookie dough, so I suggest that you skip the butter and serve them with sliced bananas instead. Jam's good too!


The lone scone. Harh.


Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Scones
makes 8

220g cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
80g butter, cold and cubed
35g sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
80ml milk
10ml cream
small balls of chocolate chip cookie dough

For the egg wash:
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 180C.

Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the sugar and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.

Add in the egg yolk, milk and cream. Mix lightly until the dough just starts to come together. Stir in the tiny balls of cookie dough.

Flatten the dough slightly, fold it into thirds, and pat it into a rectangle that's about 2 cm thick. Using a 2 inch round cutter, stamp out circles of dough and transfer to a lined baking sheet.

Whisk the remaining egg yolk and 2 tbsp and brush the tops of the scones lightly with the egg wash.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment