I've Moved!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

黒豆ロールケーキ kuromame swiss roll.


Another swiss roll! Which nearly managed to roll perfectly if I had not made those slits at the end. It's true that some shallow slashing can help the initial rolling but I guess I made it too deep by accident so a bit of the cake broke off completely. I'm going to stop making slits and trust the recipe next time.


The sponge I chose was a hot milk sponge cake. It has a lot more flavour from your average sponge recipe and much moister too. But I still think it needs help from some form of moisture because if you stick your fork in it, it will crumble. The good news is, it disappears with a slight pressure from your tongue, leaving behind a milky buttery flavour.


Because I had some more kuromame in the fridge, I decided to add them to the sponge. Unfortunately, I forgot about them until the moment I placed the pan in the oven so I had to scramble to drop those little black beans one by one onto the batter. They sank, as expected, but they didn't sink all the way to the bottom. That's why some of them appear to be half-hidden. I initially wanted to arrange the beans on the pan before pouring the batter on top of them so that they would show up nicely but...


Instead of just filling the roll with whipped cream, I made a milk jelly too to be nestled in the center of the swiss roll. The block of milk jelly turned out to be too large for the cake so it didn't roll up nicely, even smooshing out some of the minimal whipped cream I'd applied first. If I had to choose, I would rather stick with only whipped cream because like I said, the cake needs more moisture and the jelly will hardly help in that area. Plus, I kind of regretted making the jelly. It's my take on the green tea milk jelly I found here and because I left out the matcha and didn't add any other flavorings, it turned out a little bland. It wasn't sweet enough too.

And the texture didn't really sit right either. It was way too creamy and stiff, probably because there's cornstarch and gelatin. If it was made without the cornstarch, the jelly would retain a bit of wobble and be less compact, which would be ideal.


Kuromame Swiss Roll

I've made changes to what I think will be a better milk jelly in the recipe below.


For the cake:
1/2 + 1/6 cup cake flour
1/2 + 1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 eggs
3/8 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 175C and line a 7 x 11 inch baking pan.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt twice. Combine the butter and milk in a saucepan and heat just until the butter has melted. Leave the saucepan on the stove, you will need to heat it up again later.

Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract in your mixer until frothy. Slowly add in the the sugar and keep whisking until the eggs have tripled in volume.

Sift one third of the flour mixture into the eggs and fold it in with a spatula. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture in 2 additions.

Reheat the milk mixture until it comes to just under a boil. Pour into the batter and fold it in.

Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for about 15 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Loosen the sides of the cake from the tin and invert it on another piece of parchment paper. Remove the other piece of parchment used to line the tin and roll up the cake tightly from the short side. Let it cool before filling.

For the filling:
100ml whipping cream, whipped

For the milk jelly:
1/2 tbsp gelatin softened over 1 tbsp of water
40ml milk
25ml whipping cream
10g sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Put the milk, whipping cream and sugar in a saucepan. On low heat, whisk until the sugar dissolves. Heat the mixture until it comes to a simmer and add the softened gelatin and vanilla. Stir until the gelatin dissolves and pour into a small rectangular and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.

No comments :

Post a Comment