I've Moved!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

honey sweet potato pancakes.


It is extremely rare that I'm willing to work with an ingredient that requires such, well, work. I mean, you have to peel the dirt-covered skin of the sweet potato, chop it into manageable cubes, steam or bake them, mash them and then you're finally done with one component of your recipe. For someone who bakes on a whim, it's also unlikely that I would ever attempt recipes with ingredients like sweet potatoes. Yet, one Sunday afternoon, I decided to go through the laborious process of preparing some sweet potatoes for future use, the near future of course - you can't keep fresh ingredients like this for long.

Apart from making these pancakes with the sweet potato mash/puree, I also made a sweet potato mousse that I conjured up without a recipe. It's fun once in a while to throw aside instructions and follow your tastes and senses. But because I wasn't consciously taking note of measurements, I'm unable to provide the recipe here. Perhaps if I ever feel like making it again one day I'll make sure to pay attention to what I was adding and how much. (I have to first psyche myself into going through a mound of sweet potatoes though.)

But anyway, back to these pancakes. Evidently the recipe is very minimalist which means that the quality of your sweet potatoes matters a lot. Frankly speaking my sweet potatoes weren't all that sweet so I added a tablespoon of honey to make up for it. Even if you feel that your sweet potatoes are sweet enough I would still advise you to add the honey because they're such a natural combination! The pancakes are quite dense despite the baking powder but it still definitely makes a difference, and you can't really taste the egg. These pancakes are just sweet potato through and through. Sweet potato lovers may now rejoice.


Honey Sweet Potato Pancakes
makes 1 serving

1/3 cup mashed sweet potato
1 egg
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

Mix all the ingredients together well.

Pour a scant 1/4 cup at a time onto a heated skillet. Cook over medium heat for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Be careful when you flip the pancakes because they are quite fragile.

Serve hot and I highly recommend that you do so with peanut butter!

No comments :

Post a Comment