I've Moved!

Sunday, March 2, 2014

black sesame muffins 2.0.


If you can recall, I made black sesame cupcakes not too long ago. They were really quite good, but I felt that I could dial up the sesame flavour even more. And thus I did with my remaining black sesame paste.


Basically, I reduced the amount of butter and substituted that with black sesame paste instead. Naturally, the black sesame taste showed up more this time but the cupcakes also became less sweet. Which isn't a bad thing, but those with more of a sweet tooth may want to increase the amount of sugar a little (I'll indicate by how much in the recipe below.)



I also mixed the paste with a bit of sugar, rolled it into tiny balls and buried them in the middle of the batter, just to intensify the overall black sesame-ness of these muffins (as if it needed anymore intensification). Hashtag overachiever. Hashtag instagram addict.


Black Sesame Muffins 2.0
makes 10

120g all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
80g butter
140g black sesame paste
80g sugar (increase to 100g if you like it sweeter)
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup black sesame paste mixed with 1 heaped tablespoon of sugar, divided into 10 portions

Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together.

Beat the butter, black sesame paste and sugar until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, incorporating the first before adding the next. Stir in the flour mixture (in 3 additions) and milk (in 2 additions) alternately.

Fill the paper liners with a generous tablespoon of batter each. Place a ball of sweetened black sesame paste in the middle of each and divide the remaining batter evenly amongst the paper liners.

Bake for 15 minutes.

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for the sesame muffins recipe! May I know which black sesame paste are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the black sesame paste myself:) It's really easy to do - just dump the black sesame seeds in the food processor and keep processing until it becomes a paste!

      Delete