I've Moved!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

almond flour brownies.


You know, brownies are those things that are so simple to make that they don't really interest me. But sometimes I forget that they are also so simple to love. When I take that first bite, I just wonder why I don't bake them more often. Which brings me back to the first point. These days, the only time I make brownies is when I'm intrigued by the recipe. It may have a different technique, be used as part of a gob-stopping creation (cookie dough brownies, anyone?) or have unorthodox ingredients, like this one.

These brownies are flourless, using ground almonds instead of flour. Don't be fooled by the "flour" in almond flour - it's loosely used to describe the texture of the ground almonds. While the ground almonds don't attribute much to the flavour of the brownies itself, they are noticeably crumblier. You would have a hard time attacking these by hand. Please get a plate.


Like I've mentioned, these don't really differ from regular brownie recipes in terms of taste. They are every bit as chocolaty as your un-gluten-free variety and every bit as delicious. I underbaked my brownies a tad and the centres turned out so fudgy and gooey I had all my chocolate cravings squashed in one bite. But of course one bite isn't enough right?

If you've an active imagination you might notice the arrangement of the m&ms. I intended for them to form smiley faces, but over the course of baking and slight rising of the brownies, and also a bit of clumsiness here and there, they weren't very noticeable in the end. That's no tragedy though, I assure you that every brownie was still deeply loved.

And as always, I would like to invite you to view my instagram!


Almond Flour Brownies
adapted from here

1 stick butter
5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp espresso powder (I would use 1/2)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup almond flour

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 8 x8 inch baking pan.

Melt the butter and semisweet/bittersweet chocolate together. Whisk in the cocoa powder and espresso until incorporated. Set aside to cool slightly.

Whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until combined. Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk to incorporate. Fold in the almond flour until just combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.

1 comment :