I've Moved!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

cake batter waffles.


Baking is an art form; I doubt anyone would dispute that. I wish though, that I could be more artistically inclined like being able to draw. I can play the piano- I took lessons before- but I don't know if I have the potential to be good at it because I gave up when the theory exams got too hard for my liking. As for dancing, I used to be rather shy so I didn't bother trying to pick it up. Thinking about it, I have kind of deprived myself of chances to experience the arts haven't I? Dang it.


Anyway, the reason why I said that I wanted to be good at another art form apart from baking is because, you know how sometimes you get so frustrated that you just want to do something with your hands (that is not punching the wall/window/others)? If you could draw you could just grab a pencil and a paper (actually the paper is not mandatory- vandalism of any available surface is perfectly fine in great fits of anger in my opinion) and channel your inner Picasso; if you were good at playing musical instruments you just have to grab them and play your heart out; if you were good at dancing, well this is the easiest, just move! Baking is not so quick as a form of stress relief. You have to assemble and weigh your ingredients for starters, and then you have to clean up. You might end up becoming more stressed when you get to the cleaning up bit. Let's not forget that if you're not at home, you have to find yourself a kitchen first.

Bottom line is, I just feel so restricted whenever I need to vent my frustrations. Oh no wait hold on. It just occurred to me as I'm writing this that writing is an art form. Genius me. I just wrote the above paragraphs for nothing. Oh well thank goodness that I'm decently fluent in English.


To offset that slightly negative and totally random discussion above, let's have something cheery, colorful and sweet i.e. waffles! These waffles rock because they form this hard crunchy surface when cooled and are tender and fluffy on the inside. The occasional punctuation of sprinkles add another dimension of texture. The flavour can get a bit monotonous after a while but that's okay- just bring on the toppings!


Cake Batter Waffles
adapted from here
makes 4 round ones

3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate each fully before adding the next. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.

Alternately stir in the flour mixture in 3 additions and milk in 2, starting and ending with the flour mixture.

Preheat your waffle iron.

Pour the appropriate amount of batter into the waffle iron and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.

3 comments :

  1. I found your blog when you liked one of my photos on Instagram (I'm @gingersesame). You are a very talented writer, photography and baker. I am so impressed! I look forward to seeing more and keep going for your dream to open up a bakery :)

    ReplyDelete