I've Moved!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

salted caramel coffee experiment.

You remember that salted caramel sauce I made earlier? I had this sudden brainwave to add it into my frappuccino! But I didn't want to blend it together, I just wanted to spoon it into the bottom of the glass to get a nice layered effect. Also, I wanted a contrast of hot caramel and cold coffee. 


I was thinking what a genius I was until my first slurp. The caramel at the bottom hardened considerably because of the cold coffee and became super sticky so when I sucked up the caramel, it came as little nuggets of chewiness. That was not intended but it wasn't such a bad experience. In fact, it made the whole drink more fun, in my opinion! Icy frappuccino followed by small chunks of caramel, it turned out to be a happy mistake.


That got me thinking. What if I drop teaspoonfuls of caramel into cold water to form small balls of caramel which I can then stir it into the drink? 
Now, frappuccino. I basically took a Starbucks copycat recipe and adjusted the sugar to my taste. I'll probably never buy a frappuccino from Starbucks again. It tasted almost like the real thing or probably exactly the same. Think of how much money I'll save! Oh yeah, I still want to try their toffee nut latte! Is it good?


Frappuccino
serves 1 lucky person
Ingredients:
3/8 cup or 90 ml of freshly brewed coffee, chilled
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 cup ice
Caramel sauce or chocolate sauce (optional)


Directions:
Throw everything in the blender and enjoy!


It won't be super thick so if you like it that way, I think freezing the entire mixture for a while will help.



No comments :

Post a Comment